IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Privacy Notice
The Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (POPIA) gives effect to the constitutional right to data privacy in terms of Section 14 of the Bill of Rights of the Constitution. Rosehaven Retirement Village (Rosehaven) respects the right to privacy and confidentiality of our potential and existing client’s personal information. We are committed to protecting your privacy and to ensure that your personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully, and transparently.
This privacy notice is meant to help you understand how we collect, use, share and protect your personal information. Rosehaven subscribes to the conditions of the Protection of Personal Information Act to make sure that you are always protected when supplying us with personal information.
In order to give effect to this right, Rosehaven is required to provide any person (known as the Data Subject), whose personal information is collected and processed by us, with a number of details pertaining to the use of and subsequent processing of the Data Subject’s personal information, before such personal information may be used or processed by Rosehaven.
The Protection of Personal Information Act describes personal information as information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person.
Who we are:
Rosehaven Retirement Village is a registered Non-Profit Organisation and self-managed community services provider to the residents of Rosehaven, who have purchased the right (“Life Right”) to live at Rosehaven. The services offered include the general upkeep and maintenance of the common property and the provision of services to the residents such as electricity and water, cleaning service, gardening service and a catering service.
The type of personal information we collect:
After obtaining consent, the personal information collected or held by Rosehaven may be used, stored, transferred, and disclosed or shared only for the purposes for which it was collected. We currently collect and process the following information:
- Personal information for the purposes of identifying and/or verifying a Data Subjects’ details.
- Information for further processing or general administration purposes.
- Information for legal or contractual purposes.
- Information for employment application purposes.
- Information for the purposes of recovering unpaid monies and / or any other amount due to Rosehaven.
- Information for the purposes of research, analytical and statistical purposes.
- Information to respond to your inquiries and/or complaints.
- Medical records
Records of personal information will be retained for the period necessary for achieving the purpose for which the information was collected. Please note that you have a right to object to the processing of your personal information.
How we get the personal information and what we use it for:
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you to confirm and verify your identity.
- We use the information that you have given us in order to provide on-going administration services for the duration of Rental or Life Rights contracts as well as other services that we may provide to you, and/or to respond to your inquiries and/or complaints.
We may share this information with:
- Approved service providers who perform services on behalf of Rosehaven.
When will we process your personal information:
In terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), the justification for which we base our processing on consists of the following:
- The Data Subject, or a competent person where the Data Subject is a child, consents to the processing. Kindly note that you have the right to withdraw your consent.
- The processing is necessary to carry out actions for the conclusion or performance of a contract to which the Data Subject is a party.
- The processing complies with an obligation imposed by law on the business.
- The processing protects a legitimate interest of the Data Subject.
- The processing is necessary for the proper performance of a public law duty by the business,
- The processing is necessary for pursuing the legitimate interests of the business or of a third party to whom the information is supplied.
How we store your personal information:
Your information is securely stored on password protected computers and/or in a locked record room.
Different types of information is kept for the applicable minimum retention period as required by law. You may request a copy of our Data Retention Policy for further information.
- Using this website is entirely at your own risk.
- Rosehaven will not be held legally responsible for any personal information that you reveal to a third party. It is important that you refer to that third party’s privacy notice before you reveal any of your personal information.
Your data protection rights:
- You are entitled to access your personal data by sending a written request to Simon Eccles (firstname.lastname@example.org). We may charge you a fee for this service as set out in terms of Condition 8 of POPIA.
- You may also request Rosehaven to correct or supplement any of your personal data which Rosehaven will undertake as soon as practicable.
- Request the destruction of your personal data. The Information Officer will consider your request in light of any other laws or regulations prohibiting Rosehaven from destroying your personal data.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you wish to make a request.
Name: Simon Eccles
Address: 38 St Andrews, Hurlingham, 2196
Phone Number: 011 883 2872
How to complain:
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also complain to the Information Regulator if you are unhappy with how we have used your Information.
Their contact details are as follows:
The Information Regulator (South Africa)
27 Stiemens Street
Complaints email: complaints.IR@justice.gov.za